What is Post-Graduation Work Permit?
A PGWP is an open work permit obtainable to international graduates from eligible Canadian educational institutions. It permits the holder to work for any employer anywhere in Canada.
What are the eligibility criteria for PGWP?
- Should be 18 years of age or older at the time of application.
- Should be graduated from a full-time study program in Canada that should be at least eight months or more.
- Should be graduated from post-secondary or private institution in Canada. If have graduated from private institution should ensure the institution operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions.
- Should apply for the work permit within 90 days of receiving your transcript or official letter that states you have completed your study program from the public or private institution and have met all the pre-requisite for the program.
- Should have valid study visa when applying for the work permit.
- Should have completed 900 hours or more full time study which is equivalent to eight months or more.
- Provide a letter from your institution that outlines the duration of study and program code.
How long is PGWP valid?
The PGWP might be issued at most for three years, depending on the length of the graduate’s study program in Canada.
For example, if the study program was one year in length, the PGWP will usually be issued for a similar time span (i.e. if a candidate’s study program was of 1 year, the PGWP would be legitimate for a year).
If, on the other hand, study program was two years or more in length, a PGWP may be issued for up to three years.
Three years is the maximum span of a PGWP. The permit cannot be valid for longer than the length of the program of study finished in Canada.
Permanent Residence options for Students graduated in Canada
An international student recently graduated from program of study in Canada and has attained Canadian work experience may qualify to apply for permanent residence through Express Entry Route or either PNP Programs.
To be eligible through the Express Entry route you have to meet the prerequisites under one of the immigration programs managed through Express Entry.
For instance, once you graduated and acquired your Post Graduation Work Permit fruitfully and added Canadian work experience you can apply under Canadian Experience Class.
How to apply for Post-Graduation Work Permit?
Can either apply online for Post-Graduation Work Permit or submit a paper application and just mail it to IRCC.
Make sure to apply inside 90 days of receiving your composed affirmation from the institution graduated from.
While applying for the Post-Graduation Work Permit should pay the Open Work Permit Holder Fee and standard Work Permit expense.
These charges must be paid in Canadian funds and must be paid online. The current aggregate expense for a PGWP is $255 CAD.
This is involved with two sections: $155 CAD is the work permit expense, and $100 CAD for the Open Work Permit Holder Fee.