TOEFL stands for Test of English as Foreign Language that is widely accepted all over the world. Whether you wish to land up in universities, workplaces, or immigration purposes, TOEFL is acceptable. It helps in measuring English proficiency and communication skills.
TOEFL test is administered and developed by Educational Testing Service (ETS), they set the questions, conduct the test, and sends each examinee the score report.
It is accepted by more than 10,000 universities with over 150 countries including Canada, the USA, Australia, New Zealand, and more.
There are four language skills in TOEFL which are speaking, listening, reading, and writing. Students must score 80 out of 120 to show average English proficiency.
- If you are applying to universities in the US and Canada, TOEFL should be your first choice as the syllabus is planned to test your knowledge and grasping of North-American English.
- For the rest of the countries, IELTS is usually a more preferred exam especially in the UK and Australia but TOEFL is also accepted.
- The test is conducted throughout the year. There almost 50 test dates per year. Also, if you are not satisfied with your results go for another test. But, make sure to wait for at least 12 day period after the attempt of your first test.
TOEFL Exam Pattern
- TOEFL exam pattern is as follows – four sections namely, Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing.
- The total score is the sum of the scores of the four skill areas.
- For calculating TOEFL scores, both human raters and automated scoring methods are used. This is done in order to offer a complete and accurate picture of the candidate’s ability.
- While the automated scoring method has the advantage of being unbiased, it does not measure the effectiveness of the language and content.
- Human raters are required to attend to a wider variety of features, such as the quality of ideas and content as well as form.
- You will receive an email when your scores are available, which would be 10 days after your test date.
- The validity of TOEFL scores is for two years and can be sent to other higher education institutions during that time.